(at time of publication)
- 750g waxy potatoes, skins left on if possible
- 4-5 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ⅓ cup light mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons low-fat yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon mustard (seeded, French or hot English)
- Optional extras
- 4 rashers lean bacon, diced and cooked until crispy
- 2-3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ cup cooked peas
- diced gherkin to taste
- chopped sun-dried or semi-dried tomatoes to taste
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion (use instead of spring onion)
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1-2 teaspoons dill seeds or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (use to replace mint)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (place in a heavy-bottomed pan over heat and cook for a few minutes stirring regularly, until seeds pop) – use as a garnish on top of salad
1 Cook potatoes in boiling water, cool and cut into medium chunks. Place in a bowl with most of the spring onion (save some for garnish) and fresh mint.
2 In a jug or small bowl mix light mayonnaise, yoghurt and mustard; add to potato mixture and mix through. Add optional extras as desired. Serve garnished with remaining spring onion.
- Potato salad with egg and capers: Add 3 hard-boiled eggs (chopped) and 3 tablespoons of capers. Omit the mint. Bacon is optional in this version.
- Potato salad with semi-dried tomato, red onion and avocado: Replace bacon, spring onion and mint, with 1/4 cup chopped semi-dried tomato, 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion and 1 just-ripe avocado (diced). Instead of mayonnaise or salad dressing add 1/4 cup French dressing mixed with 1 teaspoon of Dijon (French) mustard.
- Mint and yoghurt potato salad: Mix 1 cup unsweetened yoghurt with 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/4 cup finely chopped mint. Use as the dressing on 1kg cooked chopped potato. Garnish with extra mint.
- Leaving skins on potato – adds extra fibre.
- Using low-fat mayonnaise/salad dressing instead of regular (high-fat) versions.
- Using lean bacon and trimming all the fat.
- Adding pumpkin seeds as a garnish – adds extra protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2.3g
–Saturated fat 0.3g
Dietary fibre 1.3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.