Vegan quinoa and beetroot salad
Last updated date: 2 December 2021
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon quinoa
- 1 raw beetrootbeetsX, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or flaxseed oil
- 230g pack mixed sprouts
- 1 cup seed and fruit mix (we used a mix of cranberries, currants, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds)
- 1–3 teaspoons mānuka or other thick honey
- pinch of sea salt
- watercress or other green leaves, to serve
1 Thoroughly rinse the quinoa in a sieve under the cold tap, then put it into a pan with 200ml water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer over a gentle heat for 15 min or until all the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
2 Put the beetroot into a large bowl, then add the cooked quinoa, vinegar, oil, sprouts and seed and fruit mix. Stir gently, then add the honey and salt to taste. Serve with the green leaves.
Star ingredient: Flaxseed oil is a wonderful source of omega-3 for vegetarians and vegans, but in order to be effective and health-giving, it has to be very fresh, so keep it in the fridge and use within three to four weeks.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17.7g
–Saturated fat 2.1g
Dietary fibre 4.4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.