Toasted buckwheat, chickpea and spiced roasted vegetable salad
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch baby carrots, scrubbed, trimmed, halved if large
- 6 baby beetrootbeetsX, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus ½ teaspoon extra
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX, plus ½ teaspoon extra
- 300g Brussels sprouts, halved
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup (200g) raw buckwheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 60g marinated feta, crumbled
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two large baking trays with baking paper. Place the onion, carrots, and beetroot on one prepared tray. Combine cumin and the coriander. Lightly spray vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with spice mixture. Toss to combine. Bake for 30 minutes.
2 Place sprouts and chickpeas on second prepared tray; lightly spray with oil. Bake 15–20 minutes, or until the sprouts are golden and the chickpeas are crisp.
3 Meanwhile, toast buckwheat. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the buckwheat, cook, stirring for 3–4 minutes, or until fragrant. Place toasted buckwheat and 2 cups of water in a saucepan, and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10–12 minutes, or until just tender (be careful that you do not overcook). Rinse under cold running water, then drain well.
4 Combine the buckwheat, the carrots, beetroot, sprouts and the chickpeas in a large bowl. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, honey and extra spices in a small bowl. Add dressing to salad and gently toss to combine. Divide between four serving bowls and serve topped with crumbled feta.
Toasting the buckwheat before cooking really brings out the flavour.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10.7g
–Saturated fat 2.6g
Dietary fibre 18.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.