Quinoa sushi with chilli salmon
(at time of publication)
- 1 ½ cups white quinoa
- 2 ½ cups liquid salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons mirin or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 sheets toasted nori
- 1 small (85g) can chilli-flavoured salmon or tuna
- ¼ telegraph cucumber, cut in long thin batons
- 1 medium-sized avocado, cut in long slices
- 1 small carrot, cut in long thin batons
- To serve
- 4 teaspoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons pickled ginger, (optional)
1 Rinse quinoa and add to a pan with stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes until all water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Allow to cool slightly then add mirin and sugar. Mix well then cool before using.
2 Spread cooled quinoa over each nori sheet leaving space along the edges. Arrange salmon on each sheet in a horizontal line one-third of the way up from the bottom edge. Top with cucumber, avocado and carrot.
3 Roll each sheet up tightly (a sushi mat helps with this) then wet outside nori edge to help seal rolls. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Use a very sharp knife to trim roll ends then slice each roll into 8 pieces. Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger (if using) or vegetable ribbons if you prefer.
Make it gluten free: Check stock and salmon are gluten free and use gluten-free soy sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.