Roasted garlic tomato penne
(at time of publication)
- 2 red capsicums, cut in chunks
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 bulb garlic, broken up
- spray oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 300g wholemeal penne pasta
- 250g cooked lean chicken, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓cup fresh basil, plus extra sprigs, to serve
- 2 cups rocketarugulaX
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons walnuts or almonds, roughly chopped (optional)
- sprinkling of chilli flakes (optional)
1 Preheat oven to 190°C. To make chunky tomato sauce, place capsicums, tomatoes, chilli, onion and garlic in a large ovenproof dish. Spray with oil. Cook for 30 minutes, respraying once and turning. Cool for 5 minutes.
2 In a blender place half of the chargrilled vegetables (except garlic) and process until sauce texture is chunky. Transfer to a bowl and mix with sugar, vinegar and 4 tablespoons water.
3 Place pasta on to cook in boiling water. Cook until al dente. Drain, leaving some cooking water in pan. Set pan over a low heat.
4 Add chunky tomato sauce, remaining unprocessed chargrilled vegetables and garlic, squeezed from cloves, to pasta. Toss and heat through. Add chicken, mushrooms, basil, rocket and oil. Stir through.
5 Remove from heat and serve with a sprig of basil, parmesan, crushed nuts and chilli flakes (if using).
- You can replace the chicken with fish.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta.
- The sauce can be made up in advance and then kept in the fridge in a sealed container for a few days.
- Pasta made from whole grains is higher in fibre than white pasta. We’ve called it wholemeal pasta but your pasta may be called wholewheat pasta.
- Cook pasta in lightly salted water until al dente – ie. until it is tender but still has some bite!
- Once cooked, drain pasta, leaving a little of the cooking water still in the pan. This stops the pasta sticking.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.