Silver beet, ricotta and broccoli pie
(at time of publication)
- 300g broccoli, trimmed, cut in florets
- 1 large bunch silver beet, stems removed, leaves washed, shredded
- oil spray
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus extra 1 tablespoon, to serve
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 60g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 250g light ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and immerse broccoli to blanch until just tender. Refresh under cold running water, drain well, roughly chop and set aside.
- Place a large deep frying pan over a high heat. Add silver beet (in batches if necessary) and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Transfer silver beet to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 more minute.
- Squeeze excess water from silver beet and place in a large bowl with broccoli, onion mixture, herbs, lemon zest, feta, ricotta and eggs. Stir to thoroughly mix and season with black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 26cm x 16cm rectangular baking tin with a light coating of oil. Spray 1 filo sheet lightly with oil, fold in half and use to line base of baking tin. Repeat with 2 more filo sheets. Spoon filling into tin and smooth surface. Spray another filo sheet with a light coating of olive oil, fold in half and use to line top of pie. Repeat process with last 2 filo sheets. Spray top of pastry lightly with oil. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top pie with extra herbs. Slice in rectangles.
Serve pie with a cherry tomato and rocket salad.
If the pie filling seems too moist or watery at the end of step 4, add 1-2 tablespoons flour before baking.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us