Silver beet risotto
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 8 fresh thyme sprigs, plus 4-6 extra sprigs to garnish
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups halved Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1¹/³ cups arborio rice
- ¹/³ cup white wine
- 2 cups hot reduced-salt vegetable stock, plus 3½ cups hot water
- 12 cups chopped silver beet, lightly microwaved or steamed
- 250g cottage cheese, blended
- 4 store-bought bottled mild peppadews, finely chopped
- squeeze lemon juice
- ¾ cup grated or shaved parmesan
- ground black pepper
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high. Cook onion, thyme, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
2 Add mushrooms and cook for a further 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add wine and boil rapidly for a few minutes.
3 Gradually add hot stock and water, ½ cup at a time, stirring continuously. Allow liquid to absorb before adding the next ½ cup.
4 Once all the liquid is added, the rice should be creamy and thick. Fold in half of the silver beet and cook for a few minutes before adding the remaining half.
5 Stir in cottage cheese and peppadews. Heat through. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve sprinkled with parmesan and pepper. Garnish with thyme.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use grated vegan cheese instead of cottage cheese and swap parmesan with Angel Food parmesan. Check white wine and stock are vegan.
This makes a generous serving. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge and reheated the following day.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us