Slow cooker spicy carrot and pumpkin soup
(at time of publication)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed, chopped in chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed, cut in chunks
- 4 cups pumpkin, cut in chunks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder (we used a hot one)
- 1 pinch ground chilli powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups salt-reduced liquid vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
1 In a large frying pan, cook onion and garlic in oil until softened. Add prepared vegetables and flour. Mix well, allowing flour to absorb oil.
2 Place vegetable mix into slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 6 hours).
3 When vegetables are tender, purée or process soup until smooth and return to slow cooker to keep warm.
4 Adjust the consistency to suit your personal taste.
Serve a thick soup with a little reduced-fat sour cream and chopped fresh mint. Or thin the soup with a little light coconut cream and garnish with coriander and toast6ed seeds if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and stock. Check ground spices are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information