Smarter sausage rolls
Time to make: 40 mins
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 sheets ready-rolled reduced-fat puff pastry
- 500g trim pork mince
- 2 slices wholemeal bread, made into crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, grated raw but with the skin on
- 1 tablespoon bran (baking bran is available in the bulk section of the supermarket)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 generous tablespoons tomato sauce
- water, to seal pastry
- 1/4 cup trim milk, for glazing
Total fat 5.5g
Saturated fat 2.7g
Dietary fibre 0.8g
1 Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2 In a bowl, combine the fresh breadcrumbs, herbs, salt, bran flakes, onion, meat, grated potato and the sauces.
If you have a processor, chop the onion, add the slices of bread and pulse to crumbs, then add all the rest of the ingredients and mix in the processor.
3 Slice each pastry sheet in half, making 6 rectangles. Scoop out some of the meat mixture and place a ‘sausage’ of mixture along the middle of each strip. Brush one edge of the strip with water, roll the pastry over and seal it together to form a long roll.
4 Cut the rolls into four sausage rolls. Place them seam side down on a greased tray. Slash the top of each sausage roll once or twice with a serrated knife to allow steam to escape, then brush each one lightly with milk.
5 Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until dark golden. Serve with tomato sauce for dipping.