Spaghetti with black olives
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red capsicum
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (the best you can find)
- 400g can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 350g dried spaghetti
- 80g feta, crumbled
1 Thinly slice garlic. Chop capsicum and cut olives in half.
2 Heat oil in a medium pan and add garlic and capsicum. Cook gently until capsicum is soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes, olives, capers and capsicum. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
3 Cook spaghetti until al dente. Drain and toss in sauce. Top with feta.Recipe supplied by Healthy Food Guide reader, Cathy Rogers (Whangamata)
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
Serve with a green salad.
- Use mild Spanish olives if you have olive-haters in the family; they will blend in and not upset anyone. If you love olives, use kalamata or Greek olives for a stronger flavour.
- You could easily add chicken or prawns to this to add protein, and use any other kind of pasta shapes you prefer.
- Drizzle with a good quality olive oil to finish if you like.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten free pasta.
Cathy says: “This is a recipe I use once a week and which my husband and kids love. It is supposed to be a favourite pasta recipe in Italy whence it comes. I like to serve it with feta cheese diced into it, and a lovely fresh salad with a lemony oil dressing on the side.”
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us