Spinach and red lentil dhal
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups baby spinach or chopped silver beet
- 12 poppadums, microwaved, to serve
- ¼ cup low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
- In a medium saucepan, place lentils, cauliflower, 2 teaspoons of the curry powder and 3 cups of water over medium-high heat, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15–20 minutes, or until lentils are tender and mixture is thick.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, chilli, mustard seeds and remaining curry powder and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir spice mixture into lentils. Add peas and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2–3 minutes, or until peas are tender. Stir in spinach until just wilted. Serve with poppadums and a dollop of yoghurt.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 15g
Make it vegan: Omit yoghurt or use a vegan yoghurt.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us