Stir-fried barley with chicken and bok choy
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 cup (200g) pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 500g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups trimmed, halved snow peas or green beans
- 1 bunch bok choy, trimmed, cut into 6cm lengths
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds, to serve
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 12g
- Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling water over medium-high heat for about 25 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place half the oil in a large wok over high heat. Stir-fry chicken for 2 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return wok to high heat and add remaining oil. Stir-fry onion and ginger for 1 minute. Add capsicum and snow peas and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, or until almost tender. Add bok choy and stir-fry for a further minute.
- Return chicken to wok with cooked barley, soy sauce and mirin. Toss together until combined and heated through. Serve garnished with sesame seeds.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us