Strawberry and almond biscuits
Time to make: 40 mins
( Hands-on time: 25 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 125g reduced-fat spread
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 2/3 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt (optional)
- 46 pieces freeze-dried strawberries (see tip)
- 1/4 cup sliced natural almonds
Total fat 4g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- In a bowl beat spread, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer, until pale and creamy. Add egg. Sift flour, baking soda and salt (if using) into mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of dough at a time into 46 balls. Place balls 3cm apart on prepared trays. Flatten slightly. Press a piece of strawberry onto each dough round. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 13–15 minutes, or until biscuits are light golden, swapping trays halfway through cooking time. Leave to cool on trays.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.
Make it vegan: Use vegan spread and replace egg with 1 teaspoon ground linseed mixed with 2 tablespoons water.
If any husks remain after sifting flour, add these to mixture as well.
Freeze-dried strawberries can be found in specialty food stores.
Store biscuits for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)