Strawberry and almond biscuits
(at time of publication)
- 125g reduced-fat spread
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ⅔ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt (optional)
- 46 pieces freeze-dried strawberries (see tip)
- ¼ cup sliced natural almonds
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- In a bowl beat spread, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer, until pale and creamy. Add egg. Sift flour, baking soda and salt (if using) into mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of dough at a time into 46 balls. Place balls 3cm apart on prepared trays. Flatten slightly. Press a piece of strawberry onto each dough round. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 13–15 minutes, or until biscuits are light golden, swapping trays halfway through cooking time. Leave to cool on trays.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.
Make it vegan: Use vegan spread and replace egg with 1 teaspoon ground linseed mixed with 2 tablespoons water.
If any husks remain after sifting flour, add these to mixture as well.
Freeze-dried strawberries can be found in specialty food stores.
Store biscuits for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.