Strawberry and almond biscuits
- 125g reduced-fat spread
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ⅔ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt (optional)
- 46 pieces freeze-dried strawberries (see tip)
- ¼ cup sliced natural almonds
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- In a bowl beat spread, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer, until pale and creamy. Add egg. Sift flour, baking soda and salt (if using) into mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of dough at a time into 46 balls. Place balls 3cm apart on prepared trays. Flatten slightly. Press a piece of strawberry onto each dough round. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 13–15 minutes, or until biscuits are light golden, swapping trays halfway through cooking time. Leave to cool on trays.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.
Make it vegan: Use vegan spread and replace egg with 1 teaspoon ground linseed mixed with 2 tablespoons water.
If any husks remain after sifting flour, add these to mixture as well.
Freeze-dried strawberries can be found in specialty food stores.
Store biscuits for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us