Tangy Tuscan roast chicken
(at time of publication)
- 1 size 16 whole chicken, skin removed, rinsed
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 cup boiling water
- 300ml dry apple ciderhard ciderX
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tuscan seasoning mix
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary or fresh thyme
- 2 bulbs garlic (optional) (see tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Place chicken on foil double its size then transfer to a large roasting dish. Place lemon pieces in chicken cavity.
2 Mix stock cube with boiling water. Mix in cider, tomato sauce and barbecue sauce.
3 Wrap foil loosely around chicken to make a bag which allows air to circulate. Pour liquid into bag around chicken. Add half the Tuscan seasoning and herb sprigs. Seal tightly. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
4 Unwrap chicken carefully as steam will come out. Discard bag. Return to roasting dish with the juices. Sprinkle with remaining Tuscan seasoning and baste with juices. Cook for 30 more minutes with garlic bulbs (if using), basting several times during cooking. Leave to rest (see tips below).
5 Garnish with parsley. Serve with roast potatoes, steamed vegetables and the juices as a gravy. Thicken gravy by mixing a little with some cornflour to form a paste. Stir into remaining liquid. Heat in a pan until thickened.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and seasoning mix.
- To roast garlic, place whole unpeeled bulbs in an ovenproof dish and spray with olive oil. Cook in a preheated oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. The garlic will be soft and can be served with the roast of your choice.
- If meat has been refrigerated, bring to room temperature before cooking.
- To rest a roast, leave meat in a warm place for at least 15 minutes so it doesn't get cold. Resting a joint is essential as the meat relaxes and becomes more tender, to make carving easier.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.