Tex-Mex chicken-stuffed kumara skins
Time to make: 2 hrs
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 x 200g kumara, scrubbed, dried, halved lengthways
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 200g chicken breast fillets, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup sweet corn sweetcornXkernels
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- ¹/³ cup grated tasty cheese
- ¹/³ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, diced , optional
- ¼ cup light sour cream, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
Total fat 22g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 14g
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the kumara, cut-side up, on tray and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until tender.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over a medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until browned. Add paprika and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn and beans. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
3 Remove kumara from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Scoop and roughly chop kumara flesh and add to bean mixture. Set aside.
4 Place kumara skins on baking tray. Spray with olive oil. Roast for 12-15 minutes, or until just crisp. Spoon chicken and bean mixture into skins. Sprinkle with cheese.
Make it gluten free: Check paprika and sour cream are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Omit chicken and use vegan cheese and sour cream.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us