Turmeric and lemon parsnip cake
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 2¼ cups self-raising flour
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 200g grated parsnip
- 150g grated carrot
- zest of 3 lemons, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 100g low-fat plain yoghurt
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 40g dried dates, chopped
- 25g crushed pistachios
- 2 teaspoons icingfrostingX sugar, sifted
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking pan (that holds approximately 900g) with baking paper.
2 In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, almonds and spices. Stir in parsnip and carrot with lemon zest and seeds.
3 In a small bowl, combine yoghurt, oil and eggs then stir into cake mixture. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle over dates. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
4 Cool completely. Turn out of pan. Sprinkle with a little lemon juice and crushed pistachios. Serve with a sprinkling of icing sugar.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free self-raising flour and check ground spices and icing sugar are gluten free.
This cake will keep well in a sealed container for four days. It can also be frozen once cooled.
• Root turmeric can be found in many supermarkets. You will often find it sold beside root ginger and garlic
• Store fresh turmeric in the fridge, wrapped loosely
• When preparing turmeric, wear gloves to avoid staining your hands
• To prepare, peel the skin and grate
• For 1 teaspoon dried turmeric, use 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric
• Add grated fresh turmeric to salad dressings or to a smoothie.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.