Chargrilled cauliflower salad with chickpeas and quick-pickled onions
- Quick-pickled onions
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in spring-water, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons sultanasgolden raisinsX, roughly chopped
- large handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- large handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
1 Heat barbecue. Place sliced onion into a small bowl. Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, bay leaf, peppercorns and thyme in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. When boiling, remove from the heat and pour over onions. Stir well and press onions down to make sure they’re submerged in vinegar, then set aside at least 30 minutes (this can be done a day in advance and stored in the fridge).
2 Place cauliflower florets into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3 Grill in batches 10—15 minutes, turning often until tender and charred in places. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool a little.
4 When ready to serve, add chickpeas, sultanas and herbs to the cauliflower, sprinkle over lemon juice and check seasoning. Drain pickled onions and add to the bowl (save the pickling vinegar to make salad dressings with), give it all a good mix up and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
Make it gluten free: Check cider vinegar is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us