(at time of publication)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 400g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼–½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ red capsicum, finely chopped
- 4 large wholegrain tortillas
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup light sour cream, to serve
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (made with 1 part olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar), to serve
1 To make tomato salsa, in a small bowl combine tomato, red onion, coriander and half of the lime juice. In another small bowl, combine remaining lime juice and avocado. Set both bowls aside.
2 In a medium bowl, place kidney beans and mash gently with a fork. Stir through spices and capsicum.
3 Spread one quarter of the bean mixture over half a tortilla. Top with one quarter of the cheese and baby spinach. Fold tortilla over to cover. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
4 Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Place two folded tortillas in pan. Cook for 2 minutes each side, carefully flipping with a spatula halfway through, until tortillas are golden and cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining two tortillas.
5 Cut each quesadilla into four wedges and divide among 4 plates. To serve, top with tomato salsa, mashed avocado and sour cream, with salad leaves tossed in vinaigrette on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free tortillas (or wraps) and check ground spices and sour cream are gluten free.
Quesadillas can also be cooked in a sandwich press for 2 minutes or until golden and cheese has melted.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us