Vegetable pasta sauce
(at time of publication)
- 3 carrots
- 1 capsicum
- 5 mushrooms
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1 Wash and slice carrots, capsicum, mushrooms and courgettes. Peel and chop onion.
2 In a heavy-based saucepan, heat oil then fry onion over a high heat until golden. Add tomatoes (with juice), garlic flakes, oregano and sugar. Add vegetables.
3 Reduce heat and close the lid. Simmer for 45 minutes. Turn off heat when done. Serve with your favourite pasta.
- Eggplant extreme: In step 2, add 1 (medium-sized) eggplant. Halve the eggplant lengthwise then slice.
- Vege boost: Wash and slice 1 turnip and 1 swede. Add them to the vegetables in step 2.
- Dreamy creamy: Add 1 cup (250ml) light evaporated milk in step 2.
- Strong pulse: Mince 1 can chickpeas in a blender and add to the cooked sauce.
- Easy cheesy: Stir 1 cup (250ml) grated cheese through the cooked sauce while it’s still hot.
- Weird and wild: Just before you finish cooking the sauce, add 1 cup (250ml) chopped kale or chopped pak choy or fresh spinach. Continue to cook for 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
No oregano? No problemo! This sauce works great with almost any herb, dry or fresh. Experiment with thyme, parsley, basil and rosemary. Note: don't use sage, because it's quite bitter.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.