Vegetarian nachos with jalapeño sour cream
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeño chilli
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups halved then sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chilli powder
- 2½ cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato salsa
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 420g can no-added-salt corn sweetcornXkernels, rinsed and drained (see tips)
- 200g unsalted or lightly salted corn sweetcornXchips
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- ripe medium avocado, halved, thinly sliced lengthways
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to serve
1 In a bowl, combine sour cream, jalapeño and lime juice. Season with pepper, stir and set aside.
2 In a large non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium. Sauté spring onions, garlic and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add chilli powder. Cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, salsa, kidney beans and corn. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes, or until vegie mixture is thick.
3 Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. In a large baking dish, place corn chips and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese melts. Top with bean mixture. Arrange avocado over nachos, top with jalapeño sour cream and scatter over coriander. Serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free corn chips and check sour cream, chilli powder and salsa are gluten free.
Boost your nachos with pink pickled onions: Put 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced, in a small bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave for 10 minutes. Drain water off and pour over ½ cup apple cider vinegar to cover. Leave to stand for at least 5 minutes.
You can use 1½ cups frozen corn kernels if you prefer.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 24g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.