Apple and pear strudel
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 Beurre Bosc pears, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup sultanasgolden raisinsX
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- ¹⁄³ cup firmly packed brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1¼ cups fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 6 sheets reduced-fat filo pastry (dairy free)
- 8 small scoops dairy-free ice-cream, to serve
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted, finely chopped, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2 Place apple, pear, brandy cinnamon, sultanas, lemon zest, brown sugar and ¾ cup breadcrumbs in a large bowl, tossing well to combine.
3 Place one filo sheet on a clean work surface. Lightly spray with olive oil, then sprinkle over 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs. Place another filo sheet on top
of breadcrumbs, lightly spray with oil again and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat with remaining filo and breadcrumbs to make a stack. Spoon fruit mixture along one long edge of stack, leaving a 6cm border at short ends. Fold in short ends, then roll up pastry to form a log.
4 Place log on prepared tray. Lightly spray with oil, then bake for 45 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with ice-cream and walnuts.
You can reduce the amount of carbs in this recipe by swapping out the sultanas for fresh blueberries.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4.9g
–Saturated fat 0.5g
Dietary fibre 2.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.