BBQ chicken with spicy chickpeas
Time to make: 40 mins , plus at least 10 mins marinating
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, finely grated zest, juice
- 1 small handful fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 small handful fresh mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 (800g) skinless boneless chicken thighs
- Spicy chickpeagarbanzoX salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest, juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 telegraph cucumber, halved lengthways, sliced diagonally
- 250g green beans, blanched in hot water for 1 minute
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- dukkah, to sprinkle (optional), available in the spice section)
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 To make herb marinade, use a stick blender or food processor to blend marinade ingredients (or use a mortar and pestle to grind ingredients together). Add chicken to marinade and place in fridge to marinate for at least 10 minutes (or overnight).
2 To make chickpea salad, heat oil in a medium-large frying pan over a medium heat. Add garlic, spices, lemon zest and sugar. Sizzle for 1 minute before adding chickpeas. Fry for 3-4 more minutes, coating chickpeas in spices well. Set aside.
3 Preheat barbecue grill to medium or return pan to heat and add marinated chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes each side or until chicken is cooked. Set aside to rest for a few minutes before slicing in half lengthways.
4 Toss chickpeas with vegetables and season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
5 Divide chickpea salad among serving plates and top with 2-3 chicken pieces, a dollop of yoghurt and a sprinkling of dukkah (if using).
Make it gluten free: Check curry powder, Greek yoghurt and dukkah are gluten free.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)