Broccoli and blue cheese barley risotto
(at time of publication)
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 cups broccoli florets, in bite-sized pieces
- 5 cups spinach or silver beet leaves, roughly chopped
- 100g blue vein cheese, crumbled
- black pepper, to serve
1 Heat stock and water in a saucepan until just below boiling. Reduce heat and keep hot.
2 Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add spring onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute, without browning. Add barley and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the wine and stir until absorbed. Pour over 3/4 of the stock.
3 Reduce heat and cook for 25-30 minutes on a low simmer, stirring occasionally and topping up with remaining stock if needed.
4 Add broccoli and spinach and stir through. Cook for another 5-10 minutes, until barley is tender.
5 Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Season with black pepper.
Make it gluten free: Use arborio rice instead of barley and check stock is gluten free.
Make it low FODMAP:
- Use garlic-infused oil and omit garlic.
- Use arborio rice instead of barley.
- Use green part of spring onion only.
- Use a low-FODMAP chicken stock that does not include onion or garlic.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.