Cauliflower and lentil bolognese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower, coarsely grated or finely chopped in a food processor
- ⅔ cup red wine
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, finely grated
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 400g can no-added-salt brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 400g can no-added-salt diced or crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf (optional)
- To serve
- 200g spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan-style vegetarian cheese
- a few fresh basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
- rocketarugulaX, or other green leaves, to serve
1 Put all the bolognese ingredients into the slow cooker and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine and cook on low for 3–4 hours, until the cauliflower is very soft.
2 Towards the end of the cooking time, cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions. Drain, reserving 1–2 tablespoons of the cooking water. Stir the reserved water into the bolognese and spoon the sauce over the spaghetti.
3 Scatter over the cheese and basil leaves, and serve with the salad leaves on the side.
To cook on the stovetop in a pan, cover and cook the sauce for 45 minutes–1 hour on lowest heat in step 1.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2.5g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information