- 4 medium slices high-fibre white or wholegrain bread
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat cream cheese (or ½ teaspoon Marmite, or ½ teaspoon of your favourite mustard)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 heaped tablespoons grated reduced-fat cheese
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat a grill or sandwich press.
2 Spread a coat of cream cheese (or your chosen spread) on 2 of the 4 bread slices. Place slices of tomato on each coated bread slice. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
3 Cover with the remaining 2 bread slices. Press slices gently together.
4 Place in sandwich press, or on an ovenproof baking sheet lined with cooking paper if you’re using an oven grill. Cook until bread is medium-brown.
5 Remove from oven or sandwich press. Allow to cool on your plate.
- The toaster’s a no-no! Never use a conventional bread toaster for this recipe because cheese will get stuck and you simply won’t believe the mess! Really. Don’t. The experiment’s not worth it.
- Go wild! Add a tablespoon of finely chopped onion to the cheese before you cook it, or try adding capsicum, pineapple, ham or mushroom.
- French-styles. For a more nutritious meal, crack an egg, beat it with a fork, and dip your bread in it before you toast it. It’s just like French toast, but with cheese inside.
Boring safety bits – not!
- Never operate electrical appliances with wet hands.
- Turn off the grill or sandwich press as soon as the toasties are done.
- The toasties will be hot! Use oven mitts and tongs or a spatula to transfer the toasties onto a plate.
- Wait for toasties to cool down before you take a bite.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Snacks and Light Meals
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.