Chicken and vegetable chow mein
(at time of publication)
- 250g dried noodles
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 500g skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- cooking spray oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, cut in matchsticks
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
1 Cook noodles following packet instructions. Drain and rinse. Toss with sesame oil. Set aside.
2 To make sauce, combine stock, rice wine and hoisin sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
3 Sprinkle chicken with five spice. Heat a large wok over a high heat. Spray with oil. Stir-fry chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove. Set aside.
4 Return wok to a high heat. Spray with a little more oil. Add ginger and carrot. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add capsicum, onions and cabbage. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5 Add noodles, chicken and sauce to wok. Toss to combine. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles and stock, and gluten-free soy sauce or tamari instead of hoisin.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.