Chicken on a stick
Time to make: 35 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 12 kebab skewers
- 1 courgette, washed
- 1 onion
- 2 capsicums, washed
- 12 mushrooms
- 2 smoked chicken breasts (300g each)
- 12 cubes fresh pineapple
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2 If you are using wooden skewers, you need to soak them in water so they don’t burn. To do this, fill a bowl or sink with cold water and soak skewers for at least 15 minutes.
3 To prepare vegetables, cut courgette in 6 thick slices. Peel and chop onion in large chunks. Remove capsicum seeds then chop flesh in squares. Brush dirt off mushrooms.
4 Remove chicken from packaging and take off skin. Cut chicken in chunks.
5 Thread ingredients onto skewers: 2 mushrooms, 2 pineapple chunks and 1 courgette slice on each stick, alternating with chicken, onion and capsicum – or any order you fancy.
6 Place baking paper on a baking tray and arrange skewers on top. Place in oven. Cook for 20 minutes. Use oven mitts to remove tray from oven. Serve with lots of colourful veges or a big salad.
- Squeeze half a lemon over the kebabs before baking for a tangy taste.
- Spoon 1 cup (250ml) low-fat plain yoghurt over kebabs before baking for a completely new dish!
- Other vegetables that work well on the stick: thick slices of eggplant, sugar-snap peas, cauliflower and broccoli florets (that's the tight, branched clusters of flower buds that together form a head of cauliflower or broccoli), thin celery slices, leek slices (the white bit), Brussels sprouts.
- Smoked chicken has plenty of salt, so there's no need to add more.
- Smoked chicken is already 'cooked', so you don't need to worry about cooking it through.
- WARNING! Vegetables that don't work so well: carrot chunks (too hard for the stick to pierce), pumpkin chunks (it takes too long to cook) and fresh beetroot slices (the juice stains everything). Instead of baking kebabs, try grilling at 200ºC for 4-7 minutes on both sides – but take care not to burn the meal.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us