Chicken tikka with chickpeas and spinach rice
(at time of publication)
- ¼ cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 1 tablespoon tikka curry paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 medium (600g) skinless chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups sliced green beans
- 2 cups steamed basmati rice
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed, leaves chopped
1 In a shallow glass or ceramic dish, combine yoghurt, curry paste and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and set aside in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2 Preheat grill on high. Line a baking tray with foil. Place chicken in a single layer on prepared tray. Grill, turning, for 10 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
3 Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium. Sauté onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add chickpeas, beans and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, or until beans are almost tender.
4 Add cooked rice and spinach to pan. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until rice is heated through and spinach is just wilted. Stir through remaining lemon juice and season with pepper.
5 Serve chicken with the rice and an extra dollop of yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check curry paste is gluten free
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.