Chilli beans and lentils on toast
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriandercilantroX
- 2 ½ teaspoons Mexican chilli powder
- 400g can kidney beans in spring water, drained, rinsed
- 420g can no-added-salt lentils, drained, rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 250g frozen chopped spinach
- ⅓ cup sultanasgolden raisinsX
- 8 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
1 Spray the base of a large saucepan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add coriander and Mexican chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
2 Stir in kidney beans, lentils, tomatoes, spinach and sultanas. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes or until thick and heated through. Spoon bean mixture onto toast and serve.
Make it gluten free: Check spices are gluten free and use gluten-free bread.
Buy small portions or blocks of frozen spinach, which thaw into the chilli-bean sauce faster than a single 250g frozen spinach block.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 20g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us