- 450g courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, peeled, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ green capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 ¼ cups dark cane sugar
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- sprinkling chilli flakes (optional)
1 Place all ingredients in a large non-stick pan. Heat gently until sugar dissolves.
2 Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, while stirring, for about 1 hour over a medium heat until thick. Spoon into prepared jars while still hot. Cover and refrigerate.
Keeping time: 2-3 weeks
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 0g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 0g
How to sterilise jars
Unless preserves are stored in sterile jars, the contents can quickly go off. Here’s how to prepare your jars for preserving:
- Wash the lids and jars well in very hot, soapy water. Then rinse jars again in very hot water.
- Dry them off in the oven at 170°C for 10-20 minutes while your preserve finishes cooking.
- Pour or ladle the preserve into the jars while both are still hot. Cover immediately then store out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry spot.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us