Tasty HFG burgers
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 cup cooked beans, chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, lentils (your choice), or 1 can (I used Ceres mixed salad beans)
- 1 carrot
- 1 courgette
- ½ large onion
- 6 hamburger buns (whole grain are good)
- 6 tablespoons hummus of your choice
- 6 teaspoons tomato salsa or chutney
- 2 cups salad greens
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- salt and pepper
1 Put the mince in a large bowl. Drain the can of beans. Grate the carrot and courgette and add to the meat.
2 In a food processor or blender, mince the onion. Add the beans and process until you have a smooth purée (or chop the onion finely and mash the beans by hand).
3 Add this mixture to the meat and using clean hands, mix it all together until well blended. Form the mixture into burger patties – this should make at least 6, or more if you like them smaller.
4 Cook the burgers either on the barbecue or under a hot grill in the oven until well-cooked (test with a skewer – juices should run clear).
5 Spread buns with hummus and salsa, and construct your burgers with the cooked meat patties, lettuce and tomato.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.5g
–Saturated fat 2.9g
Dietary fibre 7.8g
- By including beans and vegetables in the meat patties and using wholemeal rolls, we’ve increased the fibre from 3.7g to 7.8 g per burger.
- This patty mixture also works well for meatballs.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us