Tasty HFG burgers
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 cup cooked beans, chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, lentils (your choice), or 1 can (I used Ceres mixed salad beans)
- 1 carrot
- 1 courgette
- ½ large onion
- 6 hamburger buns (whole grain are good)
- 6 tablespoons hummus of your choice
- 6 teaspoons tomato salsa or chutney
- 2 cups salad greens
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- salt and pepper
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Put the mince in a large bowl. Drain the can of beans. Grate the carrot and courgette and add to the meat.
2 In a food processor or blender, mince the onion. Add the beans and process until you have a smooth purée (or chop the onion finely and mash the beans by hand).
3 Add this mixture to the meat and using clean hands, mix it all together until well blended. Form the mixture into burger patties – this should make at least 6, or more if you like them smaller.
4 Cook the burgers either on the barbecue or under a hot grill in the oven until well-cooked (test with a skewer – juices should run clear).
5 Spread buns with hummus and salsa, and construct your burgers with the cooked meat patties, lettuce and tomato.
- By including beans and vegetables in the meat patties and using wholemeal rolls, we’ve increased the fibre from 3.7g to 7.8 g per burger.
- This patty mixture also works well for meatballs.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.5g
–Saturated fat 2.9g
Dietary fibre 7.8g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.