Creamy mustard and leek chicken with black rice
- 1 cup black rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek, washed, very finely sliced in food processor
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 5 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 400g white mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons light cream for cooking
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- In a large saucepan combine rinsed rice and water. Set over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork before serving.
- Once rice has been simmering for about 5 minutes, heat oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until leeks are soft.
- Add chicken and mustard to the pan. Cook for around 5 minutes, until chicken is lightly browned all over. Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add peas and water. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a low heat until chicken is cooked through.
- Add cream and cook for 1 minute. Serve with black rice. Garnish with parsley.
Make it gluten free: Check mustards are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.