Creamy mustard and leek chicken with black rice
- 1 cup Delmaine Black Rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Ceres Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kenwood Food Processor
- 1 large leek, washed, very finely sliced in food processor
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g Waitoa Free Range Skinless Chicken Breast, chopped
- 5 teaspoons Colman’s English Mustard
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 400g white mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup Countdown Homebrand Frozen Peas
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons Light Cream for Cooking
- 1 cup Delmaine Black Rice
- Palmers Fresh Flat-leaf Parsley, to garnish
- In a large saucepan combine rinsed rice and water. Set over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork before serving.
- Once rice has been simmering for about 5 minutes, heat oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until leeks are soft.
- Add chicken and mustards to the pan. Cook for around 5 minutes, until chicken is lightly browned all over. Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add peas and water. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a low heat until chicken is cooked through.
- Add cream and cook for 1 minute. Serve with black rice. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 8g
Make it gluten free: Check mustards are gluten free.
This recipe is proudly sponsored by Mastercraft, Countdown, Ceres Organics, Colman’s, Delmaine, Kenwood, Palmers and Waitoa.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us