Easy bean burritos
- ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (add less or more according to taste)
- a pinch of oregano
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- ¾ cup kidney beans (buy a can and freeze the remainder or home-soak your own and freeze them)
- 2 flour tortillas (freeze the remainder for subsequent meals)
- lettuce, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- 2 teaspoons lite sour cream (if desired)
1 Heat the oil in the pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the spices then add the soy sauce, hot water, sugar and tomato paste.
2 Using a fork, mash half the beans into the spice mix, then leaving the remainder of the beans whole, stir them into the mixture with the hot water and lemon juice. Heat thoroughly, adding a little more water to soften the consistency if needed.
3 Divide the mixture between 2 flour tortillas, add sliced lettuce, chopped tomato, grated cheese and sour cream. Fold the bottom towards the middle then roll the sides around to wrap the filling as best you can. Eat immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16.8g
–Saturated fat 5.1g
Dietary fibre 16.1g
Use this mixture to top corn chips or serve it with rice. It’s also excellent in a jacket potato.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us