Easy corn and capsicum quiches
Time to make: 35 mins
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 12 slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed
- oil spray
- 1 cup grated edam cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 440g can creamed corn
- 1/2 green capsicum, finely diced
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Preheat oven to 170ºC. Spray a regular muffin tin (12-holes per tin) with oil spray, cut bread in circles or squares to fit and press into holes (allow enough so the bread extends a little from the top). Spray lightly with oil and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown, dry and crisp.
2 Turn oven up to 180ºC. Combine filling ingredients and spoon into cooked bread cases. Bake for 15 minutes or until filling is set.
- Instead of bread cases try using Wholemeal pastry or Gluten-free pastry (see Tips).
- Try these other fillings: Spinach, cottage cheese, feta and egg; Low-fat cheese sauce with asparagus; Baked beans, finely chopped celery, spring onion and grated edam cheese.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check sweet corn is gluten free.
A delicious light scone-style pastry that also works well as a pizza base. Mix 2 cups warm mashed potato with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder and enough gluten-free flour (approx 1 1/2 cups) to make a firmish dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling out. For easy rolling and transfer, roll between layers of plastic wrap.
Sieve 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a mixer. Add 100g reduced fat spread and process to a fine crumb. Alternatively, rub spread into flours and salt until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add lukewarm water until it can be moulded into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave to cool for 30 minutes in the fridge. Leave at room temperature for 10 minutes or warm a little in microwave before rolling out.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us