Five-spice pork with shiitake and sugar snap rice
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 2 x 350g pork fillets
- spray oil
- 2 onions, cut in wedges
- 3cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut in thin batons
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 300g button mushrooms, sliced
- 250g sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 200g snow peas, trimmed, halved diagonally
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari sauce
- sliced spring onions, to garnish
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine sesame oil and five spice in a shallow ceramic or glass dish. Add pork and turn to coat. Cover and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
2 Place a large frying pan over a high heat. Cook pork for 1 minute each side or until golden. Transfer to a baking tray, roast for 10-12 more minutes (for medium), or until cooked to your liking.
3 Remove from oven, cover loosely with tinfoil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Slice into 1cm-thick slices.
4 Meanwhile, spray a large wok with oil and place over a high heat. Stir-fry onion for 2 minutes, add ginger and stir-fry for 1 more minute. Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Add peas and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just cooked. Add rice and tamari then toss together for 1-2 minutes or until rice is heated through.
5 Serve pork on rice. Garnish with spring onions.
NOTE: Nutrition information, time to make and costings apply to main dinner recipe only.
Make it gluten free: Check five spice is gluten free.
Lunch tomorrow: Asian pork salad
Cost per serve $7.24
Time to make 5 minutes
2 cups baby spinach
2 serves leftover Five spice pork with shiitake and sugar snap rice
1 teaspoon lightly toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons gluten-free tamari sauce, to drizzle
Step 1 Add baby spinach to leftover pork, shiitake and sugar snap rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and drizzle with tamari.
Step 2 Serve cold or warm gently in a microwave for 1 1/2–2 minutes.
- Dairy free, high fibre, high iron
- 1810kJ/433cal, 34g protein, 12g total fat, 3g sat fat, 50g carbs, 7g sugars, 7g fibre, 610mg sodium, 100mg calcium, 5.5mg iron
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.