Gluten-free Christmas cake
(at time of publication)
- 3 cups dried mixed fruit
- ⅓ cup glacé cherries, halved
- 150ml brandy (or whisky or rum)
- grated zest of 1 orange
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 150g reduced-fat spread
- 1 cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free ground ginger
- spray oil
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder, sifted
- 30g sliced toasted almonds
- 50g whole blanched almonds, to decorate
- 4 tablespoons apricot jamjellyX, to glaze
- Preheat oven to 140°C. In a large saucepan, combine dried fruit, cherries, brandy, zests, spread, sugar and spices and set over a low heat. Warm through for a few minutes until sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Spray a 23cm round or 20cm square cake tin with oil, and double line with baking paper. Add eggs to fruit mixture, then fold in flour, baking powder and sliced almonds.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin, then decorate with the blanched almonds. Bake for 1–1 1/2 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in tin before turning out.
- Using a microwave, or in a pot on the stovetop, warm jam. Brush over cake for a glossy finish.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.