Vegan black bean and chocolate chilli
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, very finely diced
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 green capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- pinch sugar
- a few drops tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 x 400g tins black beans in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons good-quality dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), broken into small squares
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced, and lime halves, to serve
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion, season with black pepper and let it soften for several mins before adding the dried spices. Cook for a few min more. Add the capsicums, season again, then cover and cook together for 10 min or until softened. Add the chopped red chilli and garlic.
2 Stir in the tomato purée so everything is coated, then pour in the chopped tomatoes. Add the sugar, tabasco sauce, balsamic vinegar and 1/3 cup water, then season with black pepper and stir to combine. Simmer for around 25–30 min, occasionally topping up with water if the mixture becomes too dry.
3 Add the beans to the pan and simmer for a further 15–20 min.
4 Just before serving, stir the dark chocolate into the chilli – the sauce will turn thick and glossy. Allow everything to amalgamate before serving the black bean chilli garnished with coriander, sliced avocado and lime wedges for squeezing.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21.3g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 21g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Black beans recipes
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.