Gluten-free soda breadReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 ¼ cups dark-blue-top milk with 3 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice
- OR 600g carton buttermilk or use
- 1 cup millet flour
- ½ cup potato flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour plus ¼ cup extra
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon guar gum* (see tip)
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- spray oil
- egg wash (1 egg mixed with splash of water and pinch of salt), to glaze
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 To make your own buttermilk, pour milk and vinegar into a bowl. Stir and set aside in room temperature for at least 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 220°C. Sift flours, raising agents and guar gum together into a large bowl. Add flaxseed meal, salt and sugar. Stir well. Make a well in the centre.
2 In a small bowl whisk egg and buttermilk together. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix. Use a fork to mix ingredients together quickly. The mixture should resemble a ‘muffin mix’ and be very wet but firm.
3 Line an 18-20cm cake or quiche tin with baking paper. Spray lightly with oil. Tip in bread dough and spread out evenly. Brush egg wash generously over top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
4 Place in hot oven (on rack just above the centre). Bake for 35-40 minutes. The bread will be ready once it has risen well, turned golden and is slightly cracked across the top. Leave bread to rest for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- This bread is best enjoyed freshly baked. Use a very sharp bread knife to slice. It will freeze well in slices and is wonderful toasted.
- *Guar gum helps to bind the ingredients together, acting in a similar way to gluten in flour. If you do not like or cannot source guar gum then leave it out. Alternatively, mix 2 teaspoons chia seeds with 2 teaspoons boiling water and add to the mix. Flaxseeds (linseeds) and chia seeds are known to act in a similar way to guar gum.
- Gluten-free breads are usually crumblier than other breads as the flours do not bind as well without gluten.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information