Grilled prawn skewers with barley and almond salad
(at time of publication)
- 12 metal or soaked bamboo skewers
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 24 (about 500g) peeled king prawns, tails intact
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 4 cups baby rocketarugulaX
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 75g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice
- lemon wedges, to serve
1 Bring a medium-sized saucepan of water to the boil. Add barley and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
2 Thread 3 prawns onto each skewer. To make garlic oil, combine garlic with half of the oil in a small bowl. Heat a barbecue grill or set a chargrill pan over a high heat. Add prawn skewers and cook, turning once and brushing with garlic oil, for 3-4 minutes or until prawns are coloured and lightly charred.
3 Meanwhile, combine rocket, almonds, tomatoes, mint, feta and onion in a large salad bowl. Add cooked barley with lemon zest, lemon juice and remaining rice bran oil. Toss well to combine.
4 Serve grilled prawn skewers with barley and almond salad and extra lemon wedges.
Make it gluten free: Use brown rice instead of pearl barley.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.