Hearty chicken noodle soup
(at time of publication)
- 1.2kg whole chicken
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 salt-reduced chicken stock cubes
- 1 medium courgette, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 75g dried thin spaghetti pasta, broken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat. Place in a large saucepan. Add leek, carrots, celery, parsnip, garlic and stock cubes. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, skimming surface occasionally, for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat. Remove chicken. Transfer to a plate.
2 Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Shred breast meat, reserving other meat for another purpose. Add breast meat and courgette to pan and bring back to a simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, adding spaghetti to pan for last 2 minutes of cooking time. Stir in parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of stock and spaghetti.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.