Hearty chicken noodle soup
- 1.2kg whole chicken
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 salt-reduced chicken stock cubes
- 1 medium courgettezucchiniX, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 75g dried thin spaghetti pasta, broken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Trim excess fat. Place in a large saucepan. Add leek, carrots, celery, parsnip, garlic and stock cubes. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, skimming surface occasionally, for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat. Remove chicken. Transfer to a plate.
2 Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Shred breast meat, reserving other meat for another purpose. Add breast meat and courgette to pan and bring back to a simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, adding spaghetti to pan for last 2 minutes of cooking time. Stir in parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of stock and spaghetti.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like