Indian-style homemade baked beans
(at time of publication)
- 250g dried cannellini beans, soaked (see tip)
- 5–6 sage leaves, roughly torn
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons—1 tablespoon soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ⅓ cup sultanasgolden raisinsX
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra, to garnish
- 4 cups white rice (or 3 cups brown rice)
1 Place soaked beans in a pan with enough cold water to cover beans by 2.5cm. Add sage and garlic. Cover pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are soft but still holding their shape.
2 Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion and cook until softened. Add tomatoes, paste, herbs, stock and 1/4 cup water. Cook for 10—15 minutes to make a thick tomato sauce. Set to one side until beans are cooked.
3 Once beans are cooked, drain. Return to pan with tomato sauce. Stir in remaining oil, sugar, vinegar, ginger, curry powder, sultanas and coconut milk. Heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Stir in coriander.
4 Serve on rice. Garnish with coriander.
You can increase the curry powder by 1/2 teaspoon for a stronger flavour.
Make it gluten free: Check tomato paste, stock and curry powder are gluten free.
Try these delicious flavour variations!
For overnight soaking: Soak beans in cold water for at least 12 hours. Drain well and rinse.
For quick soaking: Place beans in a pan and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and leave to soak in the water for 1 hour. Drain. The beans are now ready to cook.
Once baked, beans will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.