Indian-style homemade baked beans
(at time of publication)
- 250g dried cannellini beans, soaked (see tip)
- 5–6 sage leaves, roughly torn
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, pureed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons—1 tablespoon soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ⅓ cup sultanasgolden raisinsX
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra, to garnish
- 4 cups white rice (or 3 cups brown rice)
1 Place soaked beans in a pan with enough cold water to cover beans by 2.5cm. Add sage and garlic. Cover pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are soft but still holding their shape.
2 Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion and cook until softened. Add tomatoes, paste, herbs, stock and 1/4 cup water. Cook for 10—15 minutes to make a thick tomato sauce. Set to one side until beans are cooked.
3 Once beans are cooked, drain. Return to pan with tomato sauce. Stir in remaining oil, sugar, vinegar, ginger, curry powder, sultanas and coconut milk. Heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Stir in coriander.
4 Serve on rice. Garnish with coriander.
You can increase the curry powder by 1/2 teaspoon for a stronger flavour.
Make it gluten free: Check tomato paste, stock and curry powder are gluten free.
Try these delicious flavour variations!
For overnight soaking: Soak beans in cold water for at least 12 hours. Drain well and rinse.
For quick soaking: Place beans in a pan and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and leave to soak in the water for 1 hour. Drain. The beans are now ready to cook.
Once baked, beans will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us