HFG muesli bars
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 3 cups rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup prunes, chopped
- ¼ cup linseeds (flaxseeds)
- 110g reduced-fat spread
- 400g can lite sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt-or-sugar peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Heat oven to 170ºC. Grease and line a 30cm x 21cm baking tray. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
2 Place spread, condensed milk, peanut butter and honey in a small heavy-based pan over a low heat. Carefully stir. Once melted, simmer for 1-2 minutes until it begins to thicken.
3 Pour melted mixture into bowl of oat mixture. Stir well until combined.
4 Press into prepared tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
5 Once cooled, remove from tray and use a sharp knife to cut in squares or bars.
Makeover! You save…
2g total fat
4g sat fat
What we did
- Swapped butter for reduced-fat spread
- Reduced honey
- Reduced peanut butter
- Removed sugar
- Swapped toasted muesli for rolled oats
- Banana and choc chip: In step 1, add 1/2 cup extra oats to dry mixture. After step 3, fold through 1/2 cup mashed banana and 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips.
- Fruit and nut: Replace sunflower and sesame seeds with chopped nuts and replace prunes with sultanas.
These muesli bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.