HFG muesli bars
- oil spray
- 3 cups rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup prunes, chopped
- ¼ cup linseeds (flaxseeds)
- 110g reduced-fat spread
- 400g can lite sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt-or-sugar peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
1 Heat oven to 170ºC. Grease and line a 30cm x 21cm baking tray. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
2 Place spread, condensed milk, peanut butter and honey in a small heavy-based pan over a low heat. Carefully stir. Once melted, simmer for 1-2 minutes until it begins to thicken.
3 Pour melted mixture into bowl of oat mixture. Stir well until combined.
4 Press into prepared tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
5 Once cooled, remove from tray and use a sharp knife to cut in squares or bars.
Makeover! You save…
2g total fat
4g sat fat
What we did
- Swapped butter for reduced-fat spread
- Reduced honey
- Reduced peanut butter
- Removed sugar
- Swapped toasted muesli for rolled oats
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
- Banana and choc chip: In step 1, add 1/2 cup extra oats to dry mixture. After step 3, fold through 1/2 cup mashed banana and 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips.
- Fruit and nut: Replace sunflower and sesame seeds with chopped nuts and replace prunes with sultanas.
These muesli bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us