Kale and mushroom stir-fry
(at time of publication)
- 2-3 teaspoons groundnut oil
- 1 small piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, sliced finely
- 170g (2 ½ cups) brown-cap mushrooms, sliced
- 225g (3 ½ cups) kale, shredded
- 1 cup peas
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
1 Heat oil in a large non-stick pan. Add ginger, chilli and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
2 Add kale and peas. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3 Add cashews and cook for 2 minutes. Add five-spice and soy sauce to pan. Toss, heat through and serve.
Make it gluten free: Check Chinese five-spice is gluten free and use gluten-free soy sauce.
Kale cooking tips
- To prepare kale, break leaves from the stalk and trim away the tough centre stalk. Wash then shred or chop.
- Kale is normally boiled or stir-fried. For whole leaves, rinse then put in a pan without shaking off the water. Cover and cook for up to 2 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- For chopped or shredded kale, place the leafy green in a pan of water 1cm deep with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for up to 5 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- To freeze kale, wash leaves thoroughly and cut off stems. Plunge kale into boiling water for 2 minutes then quickly douse in ice-cold water. Drain off excess moisture before packing in airtight containers or freezer bags. Freeze immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us