Quick bean and pasta soup
- 2 medium onions, diced in 5mm cubes
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small (250g) golden kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- ¾ cup macaroni or other short pasta
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
1 Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add diced onion and cook over a medium-high heat until lightly browned. Dice the next 3 vegetables, adding each as it is prepared, then add stock and 1 cup water. Add beans and heat mixture to a simmer.
2 Stir in macaroni. Add bay leaves and rosemary (if using) and simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables and pasta are tender. If soup looks too thick, gradually add more water.
3 Add tomatoes and juice. Pour into bowls to serve or reheat when required.
Top with chopped parsley, grated parmesan and a dribble of extra olive oil. Serve with Italian-style bread.
- Add 1 or 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts with the stock. Remove after simmering for 20 minutes, dice, then return to pot with tomatoes in step 3.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock and pasta.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Pasta, rice and noodle dishes