Lamb and cannellini soup
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- cooking oil spray
- 1 lamb shank
- 1 carrot, scrubbed, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, chargrilled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 400g can Italian tomatoes with herbs*
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock*
- 2 cups water
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Brown onion in a little oil spray in a non-stick pan. Place in a slow cooker.
2 Brown lamb shank in a little oil spray and place in slow cooker with the remaining ingredients except beans, spinach and seasoning. Mix well. Cook on low for 7 hours.
3 Stir in beans and spinach and cook for 1 more hour. Remove shank from soup. Cool slightly and shred lamb. Return to soup. Season and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
Make it gluten free: Check tomato paste and flavoured tomatoes are gluten free. Use gluten free stock
Last updated date: 20 October 2018
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us