Lemongrass and chilli calamari with vege noodle salad
- 1kg squid tubes
- 1 lemongrass stalk, crushed and roughly chopped
- 3 long red chillies, deseeded
- 1 bunch coriandercilantroX, leaves picked, roots washed and chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar or castor sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup lime juice
- lime wedges, to serve
- Vege noodle salad
- 125g thin pad thai rice noodles
- 3 cups chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- ¹/³ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
1 On a chopping board, place squid and slice along one side to butterfly. Place squid flesh-side up and using a sharp knife, score flesh to create a honeycomb pattern (do not cut right through). Cut into 8cm x 4cm pieces and place into a bowl.
2 In a blender, place remaining ingredients, except lime wedges, and blitz until finely chopped. Add to bowl with squid and stir. Cover and place in
fridge to marinate for 20 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, make the vege noodle salad. Cook noodles following packet instructions. Refresh in cold water and drain. In a large bowl, combine noodles and remaining ingredients and toss.
4 Preheat a barbecue hotplate to medium-high. Drain squid from marinade and barbecue, turning often, for 2–3 minutes, or until curled and tender. Transfer to a plate. divide vege noodle salad among serving plates. top with squid and serve with lime wedges.
Make it low FODMAP: Swap garlic for garlic-infused oil. Use green leaves of spring onion.
Make it vegan: Use slices of firm tofu instead of the calamari hoods.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.