Lemongrass and chilli calamari with vege noodle salad
- 1kg squid tubes
- 1 lemongrass stalk, crushed and roughly chopped
- 3 long red chillies, deseeded
- 1 bunch coriandercilantroX, leaves picked, roots washed and chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar or castor sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup lime juice
- lime wedges, to serve
- Vege noodle salad
- 125g thin pad thai rice noodles
- 3 cups chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- ¹/³ cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 On a chopping board, place squid and slice along one side to butterfly. Place squid flesh-side up and using a sharp knife, score flesh to create a honeycomb pattern (do not cut right through). Cut into 8cm x 4cm pieces and place into a bowl.
2 In a blender, place remaining ingredients, except lime wedges, and blitz until finely chopped. Add to bowl with squid and stir. Cover and place in
fridge to marinate for 20 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, make the vege noodle salad. Cook noodles following packet instructions. Refresh in cold water and drain. In a large bowl, combine noodles and remaining ingredients and toss.
4 Preheat a barbecue hotplate to medium-high. Drain squid from marinade and barbecue, turning often, for 2–3 minutes, or until curled and tender. Transfer to a plate. divide vege noodle salad among serving plates. top with squid and serve with lime wedges.
Make it low FODMAP: Swap garlic for garlic-infused oil. Use green leaves of spring onion.
Make it vegan: Use slices of firm tofu instead of the calamari hoods.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Calamari, squid recipes
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.