Mexican chicken pot
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chilli paste
- 2 x 400g cans no-added salt tomatoes
- 500g skinless boneless
- chicken breasts, halved
- 2 cups button mushrooms, halved
- 1 red capsicum, cut into chunks
- 1 green capsicum, cut into chunks
- 1 lime, juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 400g can pinto beans or chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- 400g kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- 2 cups trim milk
- 1 1/4 cups polenta
- pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons plain reduced-fat yoghurt, to serve
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 14g
1 Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add paste with tomatoes and cook for a further few minutes.
2 Add chicken with mushrooms, capsicum, lime juice and sugar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Add beans, peas and coriander. Heat through.
3 Meanwhile, cook the polenta by placing milk in a pan with 1 1/2cups water and bring to a simmer. Gradually add polenta, stirring with a whisk. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Season with salt.
4 Serve chicken with polenta and fresh herbs with a spoonful of yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check chilli paste is gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us