- ½ courgette, peeled into ribbons with peeler
- ½ carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mirin (see tips)
- ¹/³ cup cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup edamame beans
- ¼ cup broccoli florets
- 80g fresh salmon, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon wasabi
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Japanese mayonnaise (or other quality mayonnaise)
- 1 small sheet toasted seaweed, shredded
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
1 In a bowl place courgette and carrot ribbons. Pour over 2 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of mirin. Mix well to combine. Set aside to pickle.
2 Bring a small pot of water to the boil. Put steamer basket on pot and place edamame, broccoli and salmon inside. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes, until salmon and veges are tender and just cooked. Remove and set aside to cool.
3 In a bowl, combine the remaining vinegar and mirin with ginger, wasabi, soy sauce and 1 tablespoon water.
4 To assemble bento, place salmon in a compartment in a bento box, or use separate dishes. Gently break apart with a fork and add half of the mirin and wasabi dressing. Place rice, vegetables, mayonnaise and pickle in other separate compartments. Sprinkle seaweed and seeds over bento.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 34g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 8g
Make it gluten free: Check mirin, soy sauce and mayonnaise are gluten free.
If you can’t find mirin, use ½ teaspoon sugar (for 1 teaspoon of mirin) instead.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us