Moroccan lamb meatballsReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon oil plus spray oil, to grease
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 500g lean lamb mince
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- 8 dried apricots, chopped
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 4 x large wholemeal pita breads
- 4 cups salad vegetables such as cucumber, spring onion, celery, capsicum
1 Heat first measure of oil in a non-stick pan and add onions. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and seasoning. Cook for 3-4 more minutes. Spoon half the onion mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool.
2 To the remaining onions in pan, add tomatoes and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes until mixture reduces.
3 Add mince, mint, apricots and breadcrumbs to cooled onions. Season and mix well. With your hands shape mixture into 28 small balls.
4 Spray a non-stick pan with oil and cook meatballs in batches until golden brown. Serve meatballs in halved pitas with salad veges and tomato sauce on the side if you prefer.
Make it gluten free: Check seasoning is gluten free and use gluten-free breadcrumbs and pita bread.
- When browning mince, use a non-stick pan and break the meat up with a spoon so that it cooks and browns evenly. Cook in batches so meat browns and doesn’t stew.
- This recipe freezes well (without the salad).
- These tasty balls make a fantastic kids’ lunchbox item.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information